Welcome to Part 2 of our four part blog series on choosing a roofing contractor in Ottawa. Roof repair or replacement is an investment in the value, safety, and comfort of your home. Quality of workmanship and materials are important to a tight, dry, insulated home environment.
As well, work site safety is critical for workers on the roof and for people living at the site. You want to be sure the job is done right, and at a cost that is fair and reasonable for your budget. Getting the right Ottawa roofing contractor is key to this result.
Important information to get from the Roofing Contractors
You should be able to gather the following information from the Ottawa roofing company's website, or from a telephone call or meeting with the roofing contractor:
- Local presence and years of experience: How long have they worked in your community? On projects similar to yours? Is there someone you can reach should there be a problem once the work is done and warranties are in place?
- Written manufacturer warranties: Do they work with manufacturers that provide these? Can they show them to you?
- References and testimonials: Names and contact information of recent customers that you can reach on your own and verify. Testimonials can be helpful as well, if they are not anonymous. Read our latest testimonials.
- Manufacturer certifications: A list of the roofing manufacturers with which the company is licensed or approved for roofing material applications, since special applications need expertise. We are Master Shingle Applicator™ by CertainTeed.
- Safety & Insurance: Current Workplace Safety and Insurance Board (WSIB) and Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (WHMIS) certification. Insurance should include liability coverage in case someone is injured on your property. Verify it with the insurers before signing any agreements.
- Written estimate: Do they provide this for free (which is what most Ottawa roofing companies do) or is there a charge?. We provide FREE estimates!
Our next post in this series will be tips on evaluating the roofing estimates. If you have any questions about this or any other postings, McArthur Construction is happy to help.