When do I need Roofing Repairs and What is the Process?
Roofing repairs can come about as a result of regularly scheduled maintenance checks on the one hand, or because of clear damage from storms, lightning strikes, tree falls or other single events.
The process usually involves:
- An initial assessment of the degree of damage by the homeowner. What is the size of the problem, as far as you can tell (e.g., a small patch of discoloured ceiling or actual water dripping down)? Is it just in one area (losing shingles in a small roof valley) or does it cover a wide patch? Has the problem been ongoing or the result of a recent event such as a storm? Your roofing professional can help you through this process by asking appropriate questions over the telephone to help with the first level of diagnosis.
- A call by the homeowner to their insurance agent if the problem is a result of an accident or weather event. Do document the damage with photos and notes.
- Often, in-person assessment by a roofing professional. If it is during a violent storm or fire, the professionals will wait until the storm or fire has stabilized, and the situation is safe for workers, before mobilizing as quickly as possible.
- At this point, the damage is contained by the roofers to prevent any further harm to the home and belongings. For example, roofers may secure emergency tarping over a hole to keep out the elements until the damage can be further inspected, and a permanent solution suggested.
- Note: This type of emergency repair requires skill and equipment to do it safely. Tarps and wet roofs are slippery and dangerous, even without the addition of driving winds.
- Further inspection of the damage and consultation with the homeowner leads to the development of a plan and an estimate of the work and costs involved. Be wary of storm chasers who follow storms and offer repairs for suspiciously low prices. They are likely not trained or insured.
- The date is set, and away you go – the roof repairs are underway.
- The project is complete, inspections have been made, and the site (roof and grounds) has been thoroughly cleaned of all roofing materials and debris.
- A certified roofing professional now provides you and the material manufacturers with documentation that repairs have been made. This documentation both upholds a warranty’s contract and provides proof for your home insurance.
While you have the roofing professionals on site, do consider asking them about a regular maintenance plan and contract. Regular maintenance can catch many problems before they get serious, and, even better, it can prevent many problems before they start. To learn more, see our blog series on Roofing Maintenance.
Now, let’s revisit some of the subtler signs that mean you need repairs in your roofing system. Most of these signs are evidence of minor to medium damage. Indicators of needing a complete roof replacement will be covered in our next blog, “When Do I Need A New Roof?”.
Signs you may need roof repairs.
- You can see sunlight streaming in when you stand in your attic, and it’s not from a window. That means there are gaps and breaches in your roofing system ready to allow insects, water, and animals in.
- Water dripping or other signs of moisture, such as wall and ceiling stains inside your house - particularly after a heavy rain.
- Blistering and peeling of exterior paint.
- Decay of roof shingles, sheathing, or siding under the roof decking, showing a crumbled and ripped appearance.
- Discoloured shingles.
- Missing, cracked, buckled, or curling shingles.
- Shingles found in the yard.
- Granules in your gutters, in a larger amount than in previous years. These granules are part of the protective materials of your shingles. Another sign they have worn off is smooth, dark, shiny shingles.
- Parts of your exterior walls near the roof appear darkened, as if wet, or discolouration on interior walls near the ceiling.
- Winter icicles.
- Your utility bills are rising, during both heating and air conditioning seasons.
- Your roof is covered in moss or algae. This is most often a cosmetic issue that can be removed with various washes. Your roofing professional can help do this in a way which won’t damage the underlying shingles or compromise your warranty.
Roofing Replacement and Repair: What McArthur Construction can do for you:
We can install, maintain, and repair all aspects of your roofing system. We are BP Certified Roofer and Master Shingle Applicator by CertainTeed in every aspect of shingle installation techniques, good workmanship practices, roof systems, estimating, flashing, ventilation and approved procedures for installing all CertainTeed roofing shingles and BP roofing shingles.
We can provide comprehensive services such as:
- Residential and commercial roofing maintenance,
- Shingle repair and replacement
- Complete roof replacement if needed
- Roof ice and snow removal
- Temporary protection for storm or accident-damaged roofs.
Talk to your roofing professional about how they can help you.